- Sample Analysis:
CUCIRF will carry out analysis of samples received from researchers and provide results of analysis on routine basis.
- Sample Preparation:
CUCIRF will provide facilities and assistance in sample preparation to the users.
- Testing Facility:
CUCIRF will perform testing of quality of raw materials and end products for manufacturing, construction, oil and agro-allied industries.
- Water Quality Testing:
CUCIRF will carry out water quality analysis in accordance with acceptable standards.
CUCIRF will periodically organize training programmes, workshops, and short term courses on application and use of various equipment and analytical techniques for faculty, staff, undergraduate and postgraduate students of Covenant University, visiting research scholars, researchers from other academic institutions, research and development (R&D) laboratories, and industries.
Training and internship programmes will be organized on the repairs, maintenance and operations of sophisticated equipment for internal and external technologists.
As part of our revenue generation drive, CUCIRF will offer consultancy on solutions to analytical challenges including development of analytical methods for specific needs, sampling problems, spectrum analysis and interpretation of results etc. as well as on R&D challenges and resolutions.
The Directorate of CUCIRF is located on the ground floor for the CUCRID Building with adequate provision for uninterrupted power supply as well as high-speed internet connectivity. An interactive website will also be developed which will serve as a marketing tool. In view of the nature of analytical services that will be offered at the facility, and taking due cognizance of health, safety and environment hazards, the following are proposed:
- Temperature-controlled chemical storage facility where labelling and classification of chemicals will be carried out.
- Cold room for preservation of samples and standards.
- Wet chemistry bay.
- Calibration and testing section.
- Instrumentation laboratory.
- Offices for facility staff and technologists.
Some of the equipment and materials already situated include the following:
- Analytical weighing balances
- Distillation unit
- Extraction fume hood
- BUCHI automated Sohxlet extractor
- BUCHI automated rotary evaporator
- BOD/COD incubation unit
- Drying ovens
- Gas Chromatograph with Flame Ionization Detector (GC-FID)
- Gas Chromatograph coupled with Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS)
- SRI 8610C Gas Chromatograph with Photoionization Detector
- Two Dimensional Gas Chromatograph for Geochemical Hydrocarbon
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectrometer
- High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC)
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF)
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer (PY-ATR-FTIR)
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR)
- Liquid Chromatograph coupled with Mass Spectrometer (LC-MS)
- Double Beam UV-VIS Spectrometer
- Gas Generators (Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Air)
- All clients shall apply for the use of equipment or service by completing the appropriate form(s). The technologist or unit coordinator at CUCIRF in charge of the equipment or the service will ascertain availability of the equipment or service. Thereafter, appropriate charges will be communicated to the client, who in turn must make payment to the designated University account before the service is provided.
- Upon payment by the client, a job card will be given to the client by CUCIRF as a commitment with detailed description of the service to be provided and expected period of completion. The CUCIRF directorate must endorse the job card before any analysis/sample run or services.
- Equipment or services can only be available only when such equipment/services are not in use by faculty, staff and students.
All operator(s) of any of the Instrument shall observe the following:
- No payment shall be made to the operator. All payments for the use of any Instrument or any service shall be made directly to the University account.
- Operator should be friendly and treat every client with respect.
- No eating of any kind should be engaged during the course of any analysis.
- The operators will have the responsibility for ensuring they understand and adhere to all regulations and protocols pertaining to the use of any instrument in the University.